Thursday, February 2, 2017

Easy Vegan Dinner - Spaghetti with Mushrooms

So, I'm not necessarily adhering to a vegan diet, but I'm making baby steps and am trying not to waste any food that I've already bought.

Spaghetti with whole mushrooms

Tonight, I'm making an "easy" dinner.  It's easy to make and easy because the kids all like it.

Ingredients
1. Box of sliced or whole mushrooms
2. Jar of spaghetti sauce (your choice)
3. Box of Pasta (your choice)
4. Olive Oil
5. Red pepper flakes

I saute the mushrooms in olive oil with red pepper flakes.  I used to only put a few pepper flakes in the pan for fear that my kids wouldn't like it.  However, now I'm much more generous with the pepper flakes and no one has complained!

As for the spaghetti sauce, I'm a mood buyer,  If I feel poor, then I buy the cheapest sauce on the shelf.  If I feel like I have extra money, then I might buy an organic jar of sauce.  I dump the sauce and the mushrooms into the sauce and turn the heat on low.  I like to the heat to be low and slowly cook the sauces, because I believe it helps the mushrooms blend into the sauce better.  Plus, I don't have to worry about the sauce splattering around the range.

My pasta changes depending on my mood.  I love the Barilla pasta with the extra protein.  However, it's not necessarily my children's top choice.   Anna loves bow tie pasta.  The boys love angel hair - not whole wheat though!  So, I mix up the pasta I buy to try to make the kids happy

Enjoy this simple vegan dinner and mix it up to please the loved ones in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment