Monday, July 2, 2012

Higher Rates of Psychiatric Disorders Among Childless Women who Faced Infertility

I found this article to be interesting for two reasons.  First, it gives you a glimpse into the Danish healthcare system.  And, of course, the study that showed that women who went through fertility treatments, but ended up childless were more likely to be hospitalized for psychiatric disorders.



I cannot imagine how my mental state would be if I found myself fifty years old and childless.  I'd like to say that I wouldn't fall apart, but maybe I would.  I have wanted to be a mother since I was a little girl.  If I wasn't able to have biological children then I know I would have adopted.

However, it's not always that easy.  When I was in college, I worked with a women who tried to take out a loan from a bank, so that she could adopt a child.  She was turned down time and time again.  I met her when she tried for the fourth time to adopt a little boy.  She was turned down.  She got a cat, dyed her hair black and didn't seem to smile for the rest of the summer.

The full article is here.



No comments:

Post a Comment